Information for Students going into Year 13
All students select 5 subjects and have study periods. There are no compulsory courses.
Choose FIVE subjects.
Some things to think about...
- If you are aiming for the University Entrance qualification, you should choose four Approved subjects in Year 13.
- It is not advisable to take more than 2 new subjects each year.
- Choose subjects that offer the level of credits you need to study. Remember to check that you meet the entry requirements for the subjects you wish to select.
- Make sure that you visit the NCEA - National Certificate of Educational Achievement page so you understand the NCEA requirements for Level 3, University Entrance and endorsements.
- If you are thinking of going to University, check the University Entrance - what do you need? page for details.
- Check the Scholarship page for details on these exams.
- Are you interested in the Trades or Gateway programmes? If yes, visit the Trades Academy & Gateway courses page. You will need to complete an application form and go through an interview process for these subjects.
- The Career Education page gives information on the Career Guidance team who are available for advice in the Careers Centre.
How do I select my subjects online?
- When you are ready to start making your selections, you can either browse by Learning Areas or Individual Subjects.
- Click on any courses you want to see more information about including a course description, where it might lead to, and any costs associated with the course.
- At the top of each course you will see the following menu. Here you can add it as one of my courses or you can add it to your favourites, so you can easily find it again.
4. At any time, you can click on View Selected Courses from either the menu above or by clicking My Courses in the Navigation Panel.
5. To see courses that are recommended for you based on the subjects you took this year and prerequisite information of the courses, you can click on View Courses for Me in the menu above or by clicking Recommended Courses in the Navigation Panel.
6. If you want to select a Level 1 or Level 2 course from the list of subjects available, you need to click on the Request Exemption button and detail why you want to study this subject. The teacher is charge will get back to you.
7. To check what courses you have selected, click My Courses in the Navigation Panel.
8. You can remove courses if you change your mind, but you cannot remove compulsory courses.
9. Once you have selected your courses you should also select a back-up course, just in case of subject clashes etc. The last course you select will be your be your backup course.
10. If you are wanting to do a course but you do not meet the prerequisites, you can click on the Request Exemption button and detail why you think you will do well in the class and it will email the teacher is charge who will get back to you.
11. Once you have selected the correct number of courses, you can Complete my courses and log off. To log off, click on your name on the left hand navigation bar.