Getting Started Choosing Subjects
GENERAL GUIDANCE FOR COURSE SELECTION
• Choose the subjects that you are good at and which you enjoy.
• Keep your options open as you are likely to pursue several careers.
• Websites such as Careers NZ www.careers.govt.nz have good information on recommended subjects for particular careers.
• Plan your course selection through to the end of your secondary schooling.
• Think carefully before dropping a subject you have studied for several years.
• Check entry information for courses you intend to take in future years. Some subjects need to be studied in earlier years in order to continue with them later on.
• Discuss your proposed course selection with:
– your parents/caregivers/whanau, this year’s teachers & your kaiārahi, the contact teacher named in the course information section or other teachers of specific subjects, your Dean or the Careers Advisor, a member of the Senior Leadership team