Information for Students going into Year 10
In Year 10 there are a number of core subjects students have to study.
• English • Health & Physical Education • Mathematics • Science • Social Studies
You will also study short courses that provide valuable skills and knowledge.
All Year 10 students select Option subjects.
You may choose 3 full year option subjects, or 2 full year option subjects and 2 half year option subjects.
Before you choose your option subjects, make sure you read the subject information and discuss your choices with your teachers, kaiārahi and parents/caregivers.
You select from:
Food and Nutrition
Design and Visual Communication (Graphics)
Materials Technology Textiles
Te Reo Māori
Half year – must choose two
Economics and Accounting
Materials Technology Multi
• You can only choose French, Japanese or Design and Visual Communication (Graphics) if you have taken that subject in Year 9.
• If you want to study French, Japanese or Design and Visual Communication (Graphics) in Year 11, you must study that subject in Year 10.
• ESOL is for selected students only. You cannot choose this subject as one of your options. If you are identified in Year 9 as someone who would benefit from additional English as a second language support in Year 10, then you will be invited to take this course.
It is important to keep your career choices open at this stage by studying a wide range of subjects.
How do I select my subjects online?
- When you are ready to start making your selections, you can either browse by Learning Areas or Individual Subjects.
- Click on any courses you want to see more information about including a course description, where it might lead to, and any costs associated with the course.
- At the top of each course you will see the following menu. Here you can add it as one of your courses or you can add it to your favourites, so you can easily find it again.
4. At any time, you can click on View Selected Courses from either the menu above or by clicking My Courses in the Navigation Panel.
5. To see courses that are recommended for you based on the subjects you took this year and prerequisite information of the courses, you can click on View Courses for Me in the menu above or by clicking Recommended Courses in the Navigation Panel.
6. To check what courses you have selected click My Courses in the Navigation Panel.
7. You can remove courses if you change your mind, but you cannot remove compulsory courses.
8. Once you have selected your courses you should also select a back-up course, just in case of subject clashes etc. The last course you select will be your be your backup course.
9. If you are wanting to do a course but you do not meet the prerequisites, you can add it to favourites if it is a course that you can do in the future. If you think that you do meet the prerequisites, you can click on the Request Exemption button and detail why you think you will do well in the class and it will email the teacher is charge who will get back to you.
10. Once you have selected the correct number of courses, you can Complete my courses and log off. To log off, click on your name on the left hand navigation bar.